Wednesday, February 23, 2011

From the Heart

So, I teach blind kids.

When I tell people about my job, I always get the typical responses.

"You must be such a saint!" Doubtful.

"You must be so patient!" Occassionally.

"Is't that just heartbreaking?" Rarely.

"What a rewarding job!" Yes, when I take the time to remember that.

This morning was a little frustrating. I felt like every student was on another planet....HELLO!! Anyone in there??? Later, one student started crying when I told him it was time to come work on Braille. I know, playdough is hard to compete with sometimes.

Funny how your perspective can turn on a dime....because out of nowhere today, I had this conversation with one of my 5 year old students while working a puzzle:

Student: Mrs. Chambers, I can't see with my eyes.

Me: (gulp) Yes, that is right.

Student: Mrs. Chambers, I don't see with my eyes....but I see with my heart.

Me: (speechless)

Student: Would you like me to teach you how?



SERIOUSLY?!!!

Well, little guy....you teach me that more and more everyday.

Rewarding? What do you think?

Stacey

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh ... "I see with my heart." That is going to stay with me and hopefully remind me to see with mine too. Give him a hug for me, will ya?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh is right! That is so precious! Love him!

    ReplyDelete