Monday, October 25, 2010

CURE ALS Golf Tournament 2010

On Friday, I shared with one of my elementary students that I was going to be very busy over the weekend with a golf tournament. Per the usual, he had many questions for me: Would I be playing? How many people would be there? How does the tournament work? Will you get paid? Luckily, I'm used to the reel of questions....I explained that I wasn't playing, I was organizing and helping, and that my family was holding the tournament to raise money for a really great cause.

"Oh, Mrs. Chambers...like for charity??" he asked. "Those are the best kind!"

Sometimes it's hard to tell if my little guy is 8 or 38.

Of course he was right. My family and some amazing friends have spent months planning for this tournament to raise money for our nonprofit, CURE ALS. My father was diagnosed with ALS/Lou Gehrig's Disease a year ago, and we have made it our mission to raise money for research to find a treatment and a cure. Now, I know I haven't been a part of many golf tournaments, and I may be a little biased, but it seemed like this charity tournament WAS the best kind. :)

The weather was wonderful, the course was beautiful, and we raised a lot of money..but truly, the people, their generosity, and the camaraderie the event elicited made it perfect. Seeing my dad, my family, and such a huge network of people who care gave me a renewed sense of hope for the journey that awaits my family and all those affected by this nasty disease.

Thanks to all of you who came out and made the day such a success and so much fun.





































Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment