Saturday, September 11, 2010

White Bread

So I had my own personal Michelle Pfeiffer Dangerous Minds moment this week.

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little. No one was going to die. No one was joining a gang, and no one was pregnant.

Let's face it, while I do leave my diamond ring at home, I carry mase in my purse, and I am sure to stow away all valuable items out of site in my car, I work in elementary schools where the students are dolls, and the teachers and principals are hands-down amazing. I did, however, have a moment this week where I felt like a total Bad-A. The convo between me and Student 1 went a little something like this:

Me: I'm not sure what others have expected from you in the past, but I'm going to tell you right now, that I will not tolerate laziness, negativism, or an I-can't attitude. You will get on track with your other classmates because I believe you have the capability to do so.

Student 1: But Mrs. Chambers, some of my family members don't even know how to spell or read.

Me: Imagine how proud they could be when you walk across that graduation stage to get your diploma, you get a great job, and do so many good things in this world. I believe you can do it, and I expect that you will.

Student 1: Will you be there Mrs. Chambers?

Me: Where?

Student 1: When I grow up??

I realized that I honestly have the potential to be one of the most important people in my students' lives. I may be one of the first, if not only, people to tell my students that I expect greatness from them. I must remind them this everyday.

And really, can't we all remember to look ourselves in the mirror with the same advice every now and then?


No comments:

Post a Comment