Thursday, January 5, 2012

Routine

After two long, luxurious, restful, wonderful weeks off, I returned to school this week, and Abigail headed back to "Camp Gramma Grandpa." Only a few tears were shed! (Mine, of course!!)

At school, I was greeted with the bright, dimpled smile of my 4th grade student who is seriously 10 years old going on 37. This was our exchange:

Student: Mrs. Chambers, I am so glad to be back at school!!
Me: (Thinking, Seriously? Has someone made the coffee yet??) Oh, buddy, I'm sure it's so great to see your friends again, huh?
Student: Well, I guess. I am really just so glad to be back in a good routine!


We are kindred spirits, no? Or maybe we have just spent waaaay too much time together? I love a plan, I love a schedule, and routine is my middle name. And I looooove that my buddy has learned to love this too!!

Now, don't get me wrong. I love me some spontaneity, of course. It just has to be planned. :)

Ironically, my sweet little munchkin at home, my sweet Abigail, is teaching me that rolling with the punches is good. If mommyhood has taught me anything so far, it's that going with the flow is NECESSARY. Are we on a schedule? HA! But I have learned to read cues like a madwoman. I use the clock as a guide. And each day is new, amazing, and we are definitely learning as we go.

Can anyone relate?

A planner at heart,
Stacey




3 comments:

  1. I would pay $1,000 for my daughter to be on a schedule! We, too, have a 'routine' and things are spaced out by certain amounts of times, but they don't happen at the same time every day. The teacher in me worships a schedule, but my 4 month old does not! I am trying to be more flexible about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I'm not alone! Abby is eating about every 4 hours now, stays awake for about 2 hours at a time, and goes to bed at around 6:30 or 7. She eats usually once still at night. That's all I got! Learning as we go....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every day, I make a schedule and every day, it gets thrown out the window. Sometimes by 9 am sometimes by 5 pm. I long for routine and we mommies always talk about getting back to our routine, but sometimes I wonder what the hell that even looks like? Utopia? Anyway, off to make my schedule for tomorrow.;) XOXO

    ReplyDelete