Sunday, January 9, 2011

It's Pajamas! P-A-J-A-M-A-S!

Since my last post, my time has been split between running around like a mad woman and being completely attached to my couch. And you know what? I am perfectly fine with that! This week marked the start of 2011, Jared's 29th birthday, and a fresh start to new semester at school. And there's really nothing I love more than new beginnings.

This week at work I got to enjoy the giggles and jokes of my cute students, and I was reminded of why being a teacher can be so much fun. I remember smiling on Tuesday afternoon thinking, "If I can just hold on to these sweet moments, my positive attitude can keep me going throughout semester, despite the stresses that will undoubtedly come." And of course, my students reminded me of the importance of attitude in their subtle and not-so-subtle ways.

Before the break, I gave a student a pair of special pajamas because I had shared with him that getting a new pair of pajamas was a tradition that my husband and I shared each Christmas. This week, I learned that the pajamas were the only gift this student received this Christmas. (Imagine my heart physically breaking on the spot). The amazing thing, though, is that he was not complaining about this to his classmates, but rather sharing in the joy that he got some "really cool pajamas - tops AND bottoms!!!" His first pair. Talk about the power of attitude!

Later in the week, I was getting on to one of my students because he was slacking off when he was supposed to be working. After my reprimand, he mumbled under his breath, "attitude!" You've got that right...I about blew my lid. Was he SERIOUSLY going to say that to ME?! Of course I had an attitude, and it was because of his bad attitude. And so it could continue...

When it's all said and done (and we've heard it a million times) attitude is everything. I can choose to see the joy in the pair of pajamas or choose to fly the coop every time an 8 year old slacks off.

In the new year, there will be many things to worry over and stress about, but mark my words - I'm joining Team Pajamas. Anyone with me??

Stacey





1 comment:

  1. I'm with you! I love this post. I face the challenge of keeping my ego in check every time my kids or one of their friends "challenge" me. I mean is this kid who is in my house for a playdate really going to speak to me like that?! I will try to channel your touching story and move on. XO

    ReplyDelete