Sunday, August 21, 2011

What I Know





Today my little girl is 1 month old! I feel like she was born just yesterday and also that she has been part of our family forever. I feel like I know absolutely nothing about being a mom, and I feel like an old pro all at the same time.

What I think I know is that these feelings probably never change.

So here's my "expert" advice and a few things I've learned in 1 month of mommyhood:

1. What they say is true - that babies will rock your world, turn it upside down, and inside out...in a good way. I mean, literally overnight our home was overtaken by diapers, blankets, burp cloths, and bottles. We talk about poop now. We don't sleep. Forget TV...we stare out our child. Who lays there. Our life will never be the same. It reminds me of my favorite line from "Friends" - "Welcome to the real world (insert 'parenthood'). It sucks. You're gonna love it."

2. You figure it out. We were so blessed to have the help of family for the first 2 weeks after Abby was born. When the left, I was a little scared but ready to try it out on my own. Literally that day, I got pooped/peed on 3 times and at one point found myself pumping, brushing my teeth, and rocking Abby's swing with my foot all at the same time. Baptism by fire, baby. But I DID IT! And it felt great.



3. Let people help. Although it feels kind of great to be supermom every now and then, it also feels great to let people help out. I've had great friends and family bring meals, help watch Abby while I run an errand or shower, pick up things from the store, etc. Man, I'm lucky. If you have people offer to help....take them up on it!!!


We love that Aunt Hollis is here! She is so fun and helps us so much.

4. You gotta laugh. So, Jared helped this weekend by covering all nighttime feedings while I slept. Bless him. Of course, in the night, he was peed/pooped on twice, the diaper bin ran out of bags, and a bottle nipple got clogged. What a relief to hear him laughing about it in the morning.



5. Get out of the house! So, the doc says we can get out...and I suggest it! A friend gave me this advice, and it was the best. 15 minute trip to the store, walk around the block, playdate...getting out a little everyday makes me feel just a little bit more human.

Our first play date with little Claire!

6. Crying happens. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING is worse than hearing your little one cry like they mean it. But, nothing feels better than finally getting her settled down. Babies cry. Fact of life. I realized that I cannot always make the pain go away, but as her mommy I can always give her my shoulder to cry on.



7. Your child is always the cutest and most "advanced." Well, isn't she?

Looking at her zebra- she can track from side to side!

She LOVES tummy time - she can lift her head 45 degrees!

The girl tries so hard to roll over to her back...either that or she love baby yoga.

Till next time,
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment